May 22, 2011

Return to the Corner

Excuse the long absence. Bored boys on summer break + extra time I let them use my laptop + their aha moment that all the World Cup matches are on You Tube + the discovery that you can replay every single goal equals a busted computer trackpad and a three-week stay at the shop for some serious repair. These boys are the opposite of Midas. Everything they touch just turns... OLD.

Guess who the boys and I unexpectedly bumped into yesterday when we took a side trip to the bookstore?


I know his music brings back many and all kinds of memories for most of us but for me I got serious flashbacks about brand-new-mommy-sleepless nights, the 1 and 2 and 3am feedings and the constant cradling of that colicky infant that would only sleep in my arms or all swaddled in a bouncing chair. Imagine his face if I walked up to him and told him he reminded me of diapers, and bottles and breast pumps! Priceless. Five and something years ago, when night was as busy as day around here, he was that soothing voice on our CD player with his equally heartwarming lullaby. I sang this song many times to the boys many nights, many years ago. It always seemed like the perfect cure for the crying and the colic.

Here he is. Many, many years ago.


Happy Sunday.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw a poster of his. He looks nothing like I remember him to be.

Nana said...

Rone, you should have come out with Nona and I the other night. We said that line a LOT! Ask Tish. Right Nona? Haha

Nona said...

Hahaha! You bet. At least in Kenny's case, it's still the real him : )

Mieke said...

I just love that song. It's funny that my kids only realized who Winnie The Pooh was when the trailer of the new Winnie The Pooh movie came out.

Did Kenny sing Footloose somewhere?

Nana said...

Hi Mieke!
He had a concert in this neck of the woods and I heard he sang all the hits. Footloose included.
Didn't know about it until I stepped out of the escalator and saw him.
Same place I saw Tony Hadley a few years back

Arlu said...

I LOVE Pooh Corner! The album's one of my favorites, actually. It also has other great tracks like Cody's Song and Rainbow Connection. :)

Happy Monday to you! :)

Nona said...

I love, love, love Rainbow Connection! That's the theme song of my childhood : ) I thought only Kermit could do it justice... but Kenny wasn't bad at all. Remember when Debbie Harry sang it with Kermit in The Muppet Show? As proof that the internet has everything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRvhRhWWE44

Arlu said...

Kermit's version is the best, definitely! Checked out the link to the Youtube video and saw one of the comments...

"Hi! my name is Victoria and I am 9 years old! I love this song because every time i hear it played, I like to think a kitten is born!"

You gotta love kids... So cute! :)

Nana said...

Yes! Rainbow Connection too!
Oh wow... I had forgotten about Cody's Song!