Dec 29, 2010

Fat Witch Brownies

What was your favorite food gift this Christmas? Mine was a brownie mix in-a-box. Yup, a box-mix, and not some artisanal what-have-you. But hey, this was beyond Maya Kitchen or Betty Crocker. Have you met The Fat Witch? 

Fat Witch Baked Fresh!

The Fat Witch Bakery in New York claims it makes the best brownies in the world. Even Oprah agrees. If you can't go to Chelsea Market on 15th and 9th, their boxed mixes are enough to bring you to brownie heaven wherever you are. Thanks to a cousin who just came from NYC, the kids and I baked a batch this morning. We were in brownie heaven right here in our Manila kitchen! Thanks Ciabel!

See the shiny, crusty top and the chewy, fudgie center?

I have a tried-and-tested brownie recipe I got from Scharffen Berger and it's pretty darn good. That recipe is right here. BTW, if you don't have Scharfenn Berger 70% bittersweet, you can use Ghirardelli (available locally) or any favorite bittersweet chocolate. So there. I just shared our favorite brownies-from-scratch recipe. But now, we know there's a brownie box-mix that tastes just as great, arguably, should I say, better? Ayayay, this witch is getting fat indeed... 

9 comments:

Miri said...

Thanks for sharing! Im going to try out this recipe, Nona. Im always on the lookout for the perfect brownie recipe :-) need this while im watching those exhausting, emotionally charged movies weve been discussing :-)

Nona said...

There are lots more brownie recipes in that site with lots of fancy stuff in them, but that one is simple and pretty good. John in "John's Favorite Brownies" is John Scharffen Berger himself : ) Enjoy!

Nana said...

Nona, and here I said sweets moratorium for January. Looks super. Temptress! as usual

Psst.. Miri, I know exactly where you live and if I calculated right its about 60 steps from my door so please send brownies this way too!

Nona said...

I know, I know... I'm a bad influence : ) But it's oh-so-good!

miri said...

haha! i will do just that my friend :-) btw did u get the xmas stuff i sent over ?

Nana said...

I did. Thanks, Miri!

tashie's mommy said...

Thank you for this link! Tash planned and wrote the agenda (her word) for us today, and it included baking brownies. We used your recipe link and it was a smashing success! We give it two thumbs way up. :)

Nona said...

And the recipe was not at all complicated, no? Glad you enjoyed : )

Nona said...

And the recipe was not at all complicated, no? Glad you enjoyed : )