Mar 9, 2010

Up-staged


My favorite part of yesterday's 82nd Annual Academy Awards - apart from Kathryn Bigelow winning Best Director (first woman ever.. yay!) for Hurt Locker without having spent a gazillion (in your face, ex-hubby. ha!) and the tribute to John Hughes (nostalgia tsunami) - was the acceptance speech from Michael Giacchino for Best Original Score for Pixar film Up.

Thank you, guys. When I was...I was nine and I asked my dad, "Can I have your movie camera? That old, wind up 8 millimeter camera that was in your drawer?" And he goes, "Sure, take it." And I took it and I started making movies with it and I started being as creative as I could, and never once in my life did my parents ever say, "What you're doing is a waste of time." Never. And I grew up, I had teachers, I had colleagues, I had people that I worked with all through my life who always told me what you're doing is not a waste of time. So that was normal to me that it was OK to do that. I know there are kids out there that don't have that support system so if you're out there and you're listening, listen to me: If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time. Do it. OK? Thank you. Thank you.

1 comment:

Cely said...

Thanks for sharing this truly beautiful speech, Nana. It makes me think about a quote by Walt Disney: "All our dreams can become realized if we have the courage to pursue them in spite of our fears."

Btw, Mr Giacchino definitely deserves this award; the score for "Up" was awesome!