Mar 3, 2010

Who Are You Voting For?

Bear is often afflicted by Last Song Syndrome. Lately, he keeps singing Manny Villar's campaign jingle which he hears a lot on the car radio -- particularly that one sang by a bevy of your Everyday-Pinoy-Kids who earnestly ask, nakaligo ka na ba sa dagat ng basura? The campaign ad parodied here by the funny folks at Bubble Gang...


Over dinner last night Bear was singing the jingle again, prompting me to ask him, do you know who I'm voting for?

Bear: Gibo.
Me: Who would you vote for?
Bear: Manny Villar.
Me: (incredulously) Why?
Bear: I like his song. And he helps children.
Me: How do you know he helps children?
Bear: (with utter conviction) I saw it in his commercial.

So that's how, at our very own dinner table, Money Manny Villar's campaign cashola manifested itself. Notice how his ads are everywhere? I was on you tube enjoying Peter Gabriel's cover of Vampire Weekend's Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa and his banner ad appeared! Anywaaay...

I do have to hand it to Bear for having his own opinion about things. While I appreciate that, I had to tell him, Gibo can help kids too. He has good plans for education. Pappy then whispers to me, that's a bit too much to discuss for his age. Okay, fine. So Bear had his final word on the dinner topic: I haven't seen him (Gibo) help kids. Oh well... At age 6, he's still a few years away from discussions on media literacy and campaign-spin analysis.

Not to be discounted for having her own thoughts on the matter, Chicha tells me: Mama, I'm going to vote for Gibo because you and Daddy are voting for him. Sweetie pie. As they say, girls are made up of sugar and spice and everything nice. Boys are made of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails AS WELL AS CONFLICTING OPINIONS. But I'll always love you Bear, even if you're not rooting for my chosen candidate...


So there we have it, our household presidential survey: Gibo - 3 votes, Johnny Bilyar - 1 vote. Oh and... I hear that someone who knows he's too young to vote is trying to convince his yaya to cast her ballot for Johnny.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Niks,

Great to hear the Santos home has gone green (well, almost). Please send Bear over for a playdate aka conversion. Haha. Nice Post

BTW Love the Gibo video done by Cholo. Brilliant.

Cheers

MacD

Nona said...

Tito Cholo is passionate about our candidate. That video was inspired. Friday your boys are coming over our house... let's see if they'll convert him : )