Feb 22, 2010

Turbocharged Progress


With that mouthful I said about progressive schools, I had mentioned The Blue Man Group because two of their founders, Matt Goldman and Chris Wink, both came from the progressive Ethical Culture Fieldston School. I think it's great these grown men have not lost touch with the child inside them. Because look... they made an enterprise out of entertaining people with their music and their unique kind of performance art using toilet paper tubes turbocharged by electric mixers, splattering paint, drain plungers on their head and other odd on-stage shenanigans. Weird, but true and downright cool. Not surprisingly, the kids dig them.

Presenting... one of Chicha's favorite Blue Man videos, revived out of my internet tantrum on progressive schools... Oh and, she also LOVES Venus Hum's electro-colored dress on stage... watch and feel the love...



When I first saw the Blue Men, live in Astor Place Theatre, I didn't quite know what to make of them. At the end of their show I was blown away, with a bewildered smile on my face, toilet paper and string on top of my head. Then moments later, a Blue Man comes up to me to give me a weird eye-to-eye stare and high five. It was awesome. You had to be there. That was years ago, I don't even remember exactly when, but definitely before they had the Vegas and Berlin shows, the Tokyo theatre built just for their act and the 3D movie coming out next year.

When Bear was 3 years old he wanted to join The Blue Man Group after watching them on you tube. Blue Thousand And One is one of his favorite Blue Man videos, not to mention his first pop-reference to a Stanley Kubrick classic he and his sister should see one day.

Now here's what's beyond cool. Apparently, Ethical Culture's preschool may not be progressive enough for them these days so The Blue Men have put up The Blue School -- with Ken Robinson himself on board their advisory council. If I was living my New York dream life, Bear and Chicha would so be there.


No comments: