May 23, 2009

good read - where the wild things are

This Maurice Sendak classic is one of the first books Baby Bear had memorized by heart when he was about 3 years old. It is the very first book he brought to his nursery show and tell. Chicha used to enjoy having it read to her at bedtime, but last time I suggested it for our nightly story she said "no mama I might dream that." So now, we only read it to her when it's daytime. She's just quirky and cute that way.



"That very night in Max's room a forest grew..."



I can imagine some kids getting scared of Sendak's beautifully compelling illustrations. But I think many can relate to his young protagonist Max. He has his naughty moments, gets punished by his mom, but copes by using his imagination and retreating into his own invented world where even fearsome beasts bow to his rules. For a moment, even if it is just in his own head, he has complete power over his life - and he can pursue his adventures in wild abandon. There is a Max in all us. There should be a Max in all of us. This simple classic story celebrates this. If your kids haven't met the rascally but imaginative Max, I suggest a trip to the bookstore.



"...and made him king of all wild things"



About a month ago I stumbled on the Where The Wild Things Are... MOVIE trailer. I was thinking whoever is behind this don't you dare mess it up! Then I am really blown away when I see it's being directed by Spike Jonze. I heart him! Oh... he just happens to have directed Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. And remember the brilliantly hilarious Fat Boy Slim Praise You music video? Directed by Spike Jonze. If you do remember it, Mr. Jonze was even the lead dancer of the Torrance Community Dance Group. Hilarity! But enough fan-girl digression.


Jonze also co-wrote the film adaptation with Dave Eggers, author of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. So... Sendak plus Eggers plus Jonze equals this-better-be-a-good-movie. Production was plagued by controversy. It took years. Finally it will be released this October. Baby Bear is hyped. Chicha loves the trailer, but we'll still have to see wether she'd be ready to watch the actual movie.



"Oh please don't go - we'll eat you up - we love you so!" And Max said, "No!"



Here's a cute, related tidbit. Molly over at the We Love You So blog posted their "rigorously analyzed" Top Ten Rascals in Literature. Wild Things protagonist Max wins top rascal, beating the likes of Holden Caulfield, Oliver Twist and Curious George. Of course top prize goes to Max, because We Love You So is a blog about the wild, wild influences of the people behind the big screen version of the Sendak classic. That blog is now a daily habit of mine. Not just because I am cyber-stalking Spike Jonze, okay?


Now here's the trailer. Soundtrack is Wake Up by Arcade Fire. Coolness factor just keeps rising....




8 comments:

Nana said...

Wow. Can't wait for October. Let's make it a group date. You, Me, Bear, Chicha and Mak-Tato.
You just gave me a great theme for a birthday party. And to think I wasn't even planning one!

Nona said...

Okay, date set! : ) Trailer still gives me goosebumps...

And apologies for the video being cut on the right side. Don't you just LOVE HTML? Grrr... Just go to the actual you tube page to see it.

Anonymous said...

We love this book in our home, too! I'll have to show my sons the trailer. Thanks, Nona!

Tish

jochebed said...

i'm waiting for this too! :) wee! saw the poster in powerplant already, so it's really a-coming! :D

also excited for *cloudy with a chance of meatballs*; we read it in explo too. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9wtdwgeok&feature=fvst

michelle ford said...

oh!!!! my kinda movie! thanks for sharing!

Cely said...

I haven't read it to my daughter yet, but I still have my copy of "Where The Wild Things Are" from when I was a kid. I didn't know the movie was in production. Thanks! I'm waiting for it now, haha.

Barni Alunan-Escaler said...

Mark and I love this book, and yes the trailer was such a surprise! Alec never got into it though and preferred Sendak's Chicken Soup and Rice. Ha ha! I think the book's waiting for Jack - whose imagination is as wild as Max's.

Nona said...

barn, oddly also chicha can still read sendak's "outside over there" at night though it's about goblins kidnapping babies then "marrying" them??? oh and definitely a lot of max in jackaroo. i see it!

cely, still have your original copy? wow! a treasure for your daughter : )

tish, i'm sure your "little maxes" will enjoy : )

love love, yes looks like your kind of movie... the max in you is still pretty strong yata : )

jojie... we don't have cloudy with a chance of meatballs at home. mabasa nga : ) thanks for the link... source talaga kita!