Sep 9, 2009

And More Books!

Speaking of the Scholastic Warehouse, I was there today on a mission for Keys Grade School where Bear attends prep - and where Chicha will go to school eventually.

The Scholastic warehouse wonderland to three happy geeks!

I was with Joe (one of Keys' curriculum coordinators) and Marion (a co-mom volunteer/intrepid book-buyer). We were like three geeks in wonderland... Haha! We spent an entire morning buying all this....




3 people. 629 books. 1 morning. I can go crazy in a bookstore, but that was a record shopping spree even for me. These babies are brand new additions to the growing classroom libraries of the Keys kids - who all take part in a really wonderful reading workshop in the tradition of Maggie Moon and Lucy Calkins.

So grateful to a wonderful, generous community of Keys parents who are supporting our book fund raiser. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

5 comments:

Barni said...

Dear - does the Keys library spill over to Explo in any way? :)

Nona said...

Hey Barn... no eh. They are affiliate schools but separate entities. But Explo has LOTS of wonderful books as well.

But in Keys, the book supply required reaches crazy levels na. They do the reading workshop approach of Maggie Moon and Lucie Calkins which requires that EACH CLASS library has at least 1000 books - that's APART from the school library.

Cely said...

629 books in 1 morning??? WOW! What a shopping fever! ;-) It makes me feel really happy for all the children who will benefit!

Hmmm... french books, next time?? Haha

Nona said...

Hi Cely! We love Madeline and Babar (Bemelmans is French tight?)... many many great French writers and illustrators! The Little Prince is an all-time favorite! de Exupery!

In fact, our next project is to get books outside the Scholastic realm... British and French books in particular : )

Share your homeland favorites please Cely...

Cely said...

Aww I loved The Little Prince and Madeline too! And if my memories are good, Ludwig Bemelmans was belgian.
My grandpa used to read me a lot of books when I was a little girl. Let me make you a list and I'll send it to you as soon as I get a moment! Promise.