Dec 9, 2009

A Lesson in Symmetry

Last Friday, Bear and his 5's and 6's classmates had a culminating activity to show us what they learned from their theme investigation on ancestral homes -- studying the bahay kubo, to the bahay na bato, to today's modern house. They were obviously busy these past weeks playing architects, art historians and book authors -- while learning math, science and literacy along the way. Among other things, they built model homes complete with plan/elevation, costing and proposal as to why we should buy their house.


Bear and his "associates" named their firm Builders and Co.


There was so much to see in their exhibit! Like, cool how designing their own callados was also an exercise for math patterns. But here's a project that really caught my eye....






One day, these 5 and 6 year olds may look back at this simple lesson in symmetry and contemplate the depth and meaning of it all. That there is more to Bear's "Robot Skunk" than meets the eye.


From design to name, Bear's Robot Skunk is groovy!

One day kids, remember Robot Skunk and ponder this.... How you can find symmetry in a leaf and a butterfly, to the Greek Parthenon and the Taj Mahal, to religious symbols... and what does all that mean. How you can find symmetry in reciprocity, empathy, apology, dialog, respect and justice... and what does all that involve.

As our Friday school event segued to a weekend at the beach, it was me who had a flashback to Bear's first lesson on this basic - but most profound - principle used in architecture, design and aesthetics. When I snapped this picture by the rocky shore, I thought... equal parts love here and there.


They are my symmetry in motion.


But something more like the symmetry of yin and yang. Balance doesn't necessarily mean exactly the same on both sides.






I love them both equally with all my heart, but as they grow into their own actualized selves... I know that to love them best, I have to love them differently.

5 comments:

Barni said...

You are completely right Dalaimama- I love you asymmetrically! You have two equally beautiful children, as different as different can be.

Cely said...

Nothing more to say. What a beautiful post, Nona, how very true it is... I love it!

Nona said...

Dalaimama... I like the sound of that. Ohmmm...

Hey Cely, dancing human friend... it was an interesting weekend at the beach that just really made me ponder ponder ponder...

Nana said...

I love Bear and Chicha too!

Nona said...

Nans, they were looking for your boys at the beach... next year join us for Extri: The Return!